Prospects and Deadlines

Hello again,

Week 7 has been interesting just as every week has been. Last week behind all the priority work I had, I began to work slowly on the newsletter proposal. I spent a lot of time looking over the example Jill gave me and created my own bullet points of what I felt should be discussed in the creation of a new newsletter. This week I began the basic research I would need to be doing for each proposal section, thinking about the purpose, goals and objectives of the newsletter and what components would strengthen the newsletter. Once I had decided on these things it was very easy to put the proposal together, I just needed to be aware of the word choices I was making. I felt with this project that I had a much stronger grasp on the type of message that needed to be sent to MedTech’s audience and how to word it correctly. Once I finished it, I formatted it for the MedTech template and sent it off to Jill for edits.

I was then asked to create a job description for one of MedTech’s member organizations. The member had sent in a very vague description of what they were looking for in a Q/A position and couldn’t seem to think of anything else to say. She didn’t want a job description with it and only wanted skills. I was asked to flesh it out a little so that prospective individuals would understand what the position was for. I researched a few Q/A positions at other medical device companies and came up with what Jill and I thought was a very simple explanation. Mostly a list of generic skills that any Q/A employee would need, including the 1 or 2 specific skills the member organization had sent in their original email. This was sent off and now we needed to wait for a response before we could post it.

My next big project that I will be focusing on after the proposal is completing MedTech’s prospect tracking. There is a HUGE master list that MedTech has of hundreds of companies in the targeted region. The current spreadsheet needs to be updated and then the new companies need to be added in. We will also be adding a row for a company description and a row for the number of employees that work at that particular establishment. I think that this will probably be the most tedious thing I do here at MedTech, but I am always up for “cleaning” and updating anything.

Jill and I had a phone call with a member organization called Thermal Gradient. The company works to create PCR devices for fast detection of certain diseases. It takes a DNA sample from a human and multiplies it so you can find the “needle” in the haystack. I found it to be a pretty interesting process. The goal was to do an interview and then write an article for the Bio/Med Research. There was SO much information. How would I know what information would be the most beneficial for the audience? After asking Jill how she would tackle the situation I learned that choosing the purpose of the article is the most important thing a practitioner can do. This allowed me to go through all the information that we had received from the phone call and choose what the most important pieces of information were. The challenge of this article is that it can only be 150-200 words. Not only do I need to choose the most important topic, but I also have to fit it in a very small number of words. The article ended up focusing on the new Gen3 PCR device and how it is so much faster than the competitor’s model as well as being made with a small amount of components manufactured by local companies. The collaboration between the companies can be a wonderful story and show the strength of the Bio/Med industry and its supplies in Upstate New York. Because we interviewed the Chief Operating Officer, we needed to send him the final draft to check our uses of medical jargon, etc. It was interesting for me to see how differently he felt the article read, moving sentences to other paragraphs that (by PR standards) made the story jumbled. Some of his ideas were great and we also added a section to where the technology will be going in the future.

On Friday the entire office (the four of us), had a brainstorming session to continue the IES conversation from last week about themes and such. We pulled out a giant white pad of paper and began throwing out words and phrases that made of think of transformation, obstacles, challenges, etc. We got a big list and then started putting words and phrases together. This is the first real brainstorming session that I have been able to be a part of and I enjoyed it immensely. A final vote will be given through an email where they committee members can choose a title they like out of 5. There is a comment box for any slight changes they feel should be made either to their choice or to other choices.

I am excited to see the theme that wins. I am sad that I will not be here to help plan the whole event, but feel that the beginning is the best time to be a part of it.

Thanks for reading. Onto week 8!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s